- Rinse the flowers and spin them very dry in a salad spinner or pillowcase.
- Place half of the sugar into a small shallow bowl with a flat bottom.
- Spread the violets over the sugar.
- Top with the remaining sugar and lightly crush the sugar into the violets using the base of a heavy drinking glass or a mortar and pestle.
- Cover the bowl with a clean, thin, dry dish towel until the flowers are completely dried out, which could be a couple of days depending on the humidity in your area.
- Sift through an open strainer. Bottle the sugar and the sugared flowers separately.
- Cap and store in a cool dark place.
- 1/2 C flowers, harvested, rinsed, and spun dry
- 1 C white sugar
Debbie Whittaker, Herb Gourmet