Lucky Penny News
Filtering by Tag: dessert
- Mix softened goat cheese with lavender in small bowl and set aside.
- Chop dried cherries into small pieces and combine with honey, compress and set aside.
- Retrieve goat cheese/lavender mixture and roll cheese into two equal balls.
- Slightly flatten balls and place on top of each an equally divided amount of cherry/honey mixture.
- Add lavender sprigs for garnish.
- Chill if not serving immediately. Will keep for one week in refrigerator.
- 8 oz. goat cheese (chevre)
- 2 tablespoons dried culinary lavender
- 4 oz. dried cherries
- 2 teaspoons honey
These cookies are based on a recipe for Italian ricotta cookies. They are cakey and light, and made without eggs. They are also quick to make and you can get the whole family involved. They are wonderful with chocolate, orange or lemon icing, and increase the citrus flavor by adding the zest of one orange or lemon to the batter. Use your imagination! Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all cookie ingredients together until the dough comes together into a ball. The dough will be sticky. Place teaspoon-sized balls on ungreased baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake for about 12 minutes or until the bottoms are brown. Let cool for one minute on the baking sheet, and then remove to a rack to cool completely.
In a small saucepan, combine the powdered sugar with enough orange juice to make a glaze to spread on the cookies (a couple of tablespoons or so). Stir over low heat until smooth and glossy, then spread over the cookies. Quickly top with sprinkles or colored sugar.
Makes approximately 3-dozen cookies
- For the cookies:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 oz. soft goat cheese (chèvre)
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- For the icing:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Orange juice
- Sprinkles or colored sugar